What's Involved in Shipping My Car?
This depends upon where you want to want to ship your car because regulations on importing and exporting cars are different for each country.
However there are certainly some common procedures in vehicle shipping.
- Make sure your vehicle is thoroughly cleaned inside and out, ideally with a steam cleaner, to ensure all dirt and contaminants from the underside and engine bay are removed. If you don’t want to do this personally we offer the service in select locations.
- When shipping on a RORO vessel personal items must not be left in the vehicle or the vehicle will not be accepted on board. If you would like to ship some personal belongings then we can load the car into a container but this is normally a more expensive option.
- If you’re taking out marine insurance which we highly recommend then you need to make sure you have a pre-inspection report completed by an independent insurance assessor.
Once your car shipment arrives at its destination our office or agent will contact you to discuss any additional details they may need for Customs clearance.
Is It Worth Shipping My Car?
When arranging international car shipping, there are several costs you need to factor in to determine if it’s worth the time and money. More importantly in some countries, import permits and vehicle standards such as impact and emissions are pre-requisites for entry.
Items you need to consider for car shipping include:
- How much will it cost to ship my car to the destination?
- What taxes/duties/GST/VAT will be applicable to pay at the destination country?
- What are the on road compliance charges?
Generally we advise that if your car is worth around NZ$7,000 (AUD$ 5,600 / US$4,600) it’s worth looking into vehicle shipping.
What if I haven’t bought the car yet?
If you haven’t bought your car yet then we advise you talk to us first. We can give you a ball park figure for car shipping costs and look into any compliance issues you may face. Different countries have different rules and regulations about importing/exporting vehicles and we can point you in the right direction, so talk to us today!