Before committing to purchasing or shipping your motorbike, please ensure you considered all the below points. If you can’t provide one of these documents, then please contact us to discuss before committing to purchase your motorbike. As some of these are pre-requests to importing, and without them you won't be able to import your motorbike.
You CAN NOT import a motorbike without an import Permit.
It’s vital that before you consider importing a motorcycle to Australia, that you check if you meet any of the import permit options. These range from personal imports (where you have owned and used for over 12 months) to classic bikes over 25 years old. You need to apply for an import permit before the motorbike leaves the country at a cost of AUD$50. read more
Taurus Logistics takes no responsibility for motorbikes that are shipped without obtaining a permit. Our quotation does NOT include on-road costs such as vehicle compliance, Blue Slip or Registration.
Have you considered GST/Duty?
If the motorcycle is returning to Australia then you need to provide proof of previous Australian Registration to exempt you from paying GST/Duties, otherwise GST/Duties are payable on all imports.
The rate payable to the Australian Customs Service at the Australian entry port for Motorcycles: 0% Duty + 10% GST.
Duties are levied on the ‘Customs Value’ only whereas GST is levied on the ‘Customs Value’ + the Duty + the total cost of shipment to Australia figure.
Ensure that prior to crating that the bike is exceptionally clean. It should be in showroom condition with no dirt, or organic matter attached to the bike or in the crate.
All used motorcycles are inspected by DAFF on arrival, and only after this inspection is the cleanliness condition known. Due to this we can’t quote the cleaning costs. But please allow AU$100-200 as an estimated to cover potential cleaning. Actual charge will be determined after inspection.
In most cases your motorbike will need to be crated. We will provide a custom crate for your bike and this is included in the quotation. However if you wish to build your own please ensure:
- If constructing from timber the timber MUST be ISPM15 certified. This timber is heat treated and stamped with ISPM15 on the timber.
- The motorcycle crate MUST be fully enclosed and be constructed to enable other cargo to be loaded around and possibly on top of the crate without causing damage to the motorcycle.
- Steel frame crates which new bikes are shipped in are in most cases NOT suitable, because they are designed only to be stacked and loaded with other new bikes from the same manufacturer. They can’t be loaded with other cargo.
- Fuel and oil drained, battery disconnected
- NO personal items to be left in or on the motorcycle without prior approval
- Full inventory list of any pre-approved items being shipped with the motorcycle
Roll on Roll off (RORO)
If we are shipping your motorbike roll on roll off, then please ensure the following:
- NO personal items to be left in or on the motorcycle, or motorcycle will not be accepted on board vessel
- Motorcycles leaking oil, water or petrol will not be loaded.
- Fuel tanks must not be more than 25% full but not less than 10% empty. Fuel gauge must be working
- Motorcycles MUST be in running condition with ignition key, or it will not be accepted on board
Have you taken out Marine Insurance?
Not compulsory, but worth asking us for a quote. Your road insurance will not cover any damage that may occur while in transit. Find out why you need Marine Insurance
Marine Insurance is not included unless itemised on the quotation. Don't take the risk and get a Marine Insurance Quote online. Takes less than 30 seconds. Marine Insurance Quote
- Bill of Sale
- If purchasing the motorbike we will need a copy of the Bill of Sale from the seller. If you already own the motorbike, then we need a copy of the original purchase Bill of Sale.
- If this has been misplaced, then you will need to obtain a "sight unseen" valuation from a bike dealer.
- We must present to Australian Customs either the Original Purchase Price for the Motorcycle or a current Australian Valuation, we will use whichever works out to be the lowest value therefore reducing the amount of GST payable by you. If you would like us to do a valuation on your motorcycle the cost for this is AUD $300.00. Please let us know when making a booking.
- Registration / Ownership papers
- We will need a copy of the registration papers showing ownership.
- Depending on the country of purchase (i.e. USA) the original ownership / Title papers are needed to export the origin country.
- Do not have these sent to you, or altered, until our agent instructs the seller.
- Photo ID
- A high-quality colour scan copy of the photo page from your passport, or your Australian Drivers Licence.
By far the most important item on this checklist is the import permit. Please ensure you have this permit before you ship, and if you check off the other items your bike will arrive with no delays or issues. All the best!