Before committing to purchasing or shipping your motorbike, please ensure you considered all the below points. If you can’t provide one of these documents, then please contact us to discuss before committing to purchase your motorbike. As some of these are pre-requests to importing, and without them you won't be able to import your motorbike.
First check the motorcycle you wish to import was manufactured to meet approved safety and emissions standards. This depends on the class of vehicle, date of manufacture and the country from which the vehicle is being imported. To find out more information please visit the New Zealand Transport Agency.
- Make sure you check your paperwork, and that the VIN, chassis and frame numbers are correct, as motorcycles without correct paperwork may not be able to be registered.
- You may need "ORIGINAL" documents to prove legal ownership such as previous registration papers.
Taurus Logistics does NOT handle the on-road compliance, registration process or requirements and this is not included in our quote. We take NO responsibility for motorcycles that do not comply with the safety and emissions requirements of New Zealand. As the owner of the motorbike it is your duty to ensure your bike is compliant.
Have you considered GST?
It depends on your criteria: is this a new purchase or something you class as a personal effect?
New purchase: GST of 15% is payable on the landed value, which is the value of the vehicle plus freight and insurance, otherwise known as the CIF price.
Personal Effects - GST Exemption: In some cases you may be exempt from paying GST, you will need to meet all the following conditions:
You must be in New Zealand at the time of importation to be eligible for GST exemption
MPI / Quarantine requirements
Ensure that prior to crating that the bike is exceptionally clean. It should be in showroom condition with no dirt, or organic matter attached to the bike or in the crate.
All used Motorcycles are inspected by MPI on arrival, and only after this inspection is the cleanliness condition known. Due to this we can’t quote the cleaning costs. But please allow approx. NZ$100 as an estimated to cover potential cleaning. Actual charge will be determined after inspection.
In most cases your motorbike will need to be crated. We will provide a custom crate for your bike and this is included in the quotation. However if you wish to build your own please ensure:
- If constructing from timber the timber MUST be ISPM15 certified. This timber is heat treated and stamped with ISPM15 on the timber.
- The motorcycle crate MUST be fully enclosed and be constructed to enable other cargo to be loaded around and possibly on top of the crate without causing damage to the motorcycle.
- Steel frame crates which new bikes are shipped in are in most cases NOT suitable, because they are designed only to be stacked and loaded with other new bikes from the same manufacturer. They can’t be loaded with other cargo.
- Fuel and oil drained, battery disconnected
- NO personal items to be left in or on the motorcycle without prior approval
- Full inventory list of any pre-approved items being shipped with the motorcycle
Roll on Roll off (RORO)
If we are shipping your motorbike roll on roll off, then please ensure the following:
- NO personal items to be left in or on the motorcycle, or motorcycle will not be accepted on board vessel
- Motorcycles leaking oil, water or petrol will not be loaded.
- Fuel tanks must not be more than 25% full but not less than 10% empty. Fuel gauge must be working
- Motorcycles MUST be in running condition with ignition key, or it will not be accepted on board
Have you taken out Marine Insurance?
Not compulsory, but worth asking us for a quote. Your road insurance will not cover any damage that may occur while in transit. Find out why you need Marine Insurance
Marine Insurance is not included unless itemised on the quotation. Don't take the risk and get a Marine Insurance Quote online. Takes less than 30 seconds. Marine Insurance Quote
- Bill of Sale
- If purchasing the motorbike, we will need a copy of the Bill of Sale from the seller. If you already own the motorbike, then we need a copy of the original purchase Bill of Sale.
- If this has been misplaced, then you will need to obtain a "sight unseen" valuation from a bike dealer.
- Registration / Ownership papers
- We will need a copy of the registration papers showing ownership.
- Depending on the country of purchase (i.e. USA) the original ownership / Title papers are needed to export the origin country.
- Do not have these sent to you, or altered, until our agent instructs the seller.
- Photo ID
- A high-quality colour scan copy of the photo page from your passport.
If you have ticked off all of the above, then your car is ready to ship to New Zealand. Welcome home!